måndag 15 februari 2010

Let me proudly present



Fred - who everyday goes down to this empty tunnel in Prospect Park to practise his tap-dancing. Because the echo is so good there, he told me. And because in that way he doesn’t have to pay for a studio space. At first I thougt he was a bit high, he moved that way, but when I started to talk to him, I could tell he wasn’t – he was just very into what he was doing. He didn’t tap-dance in a cheery way like Fred Astaire, but slower, a bit sad. I really didn’t want to disturb him but I knew I would regret not taking his picture (and I didn’t want to take it without asking him first) so, I gently interrupped him. I gave him my name and he gave me his and I asked if he’d been tapping all his life, since he was so good. ”No, I started late. A few years ago”, he answered. Then he wished me luck with my writing, and I wished him luck with his tapping, and we went separate ways. I can still hear his feet move on that small piece of wooden-board.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar